So, this week I have started a new journey… a learning journey. I took the plunge last month and enrolled myself on a distance learning course to become a Social Media Manager… ooooh, fancy eh?! This time next year I may even have a few more Twitter followers (@TalesofaMD in case you’re wondering)!
In the run up to this starting on Monday, I started to feel a little nervous, mainly because its been around 14 years since I last did any kind of learning…. unfortunately, this doesn’t make me 30… I did a evening college course in my mid-twenties!
This got me thinking about the things that make you feel old… or that you have matured in your years. Not necessarily a bad thing… isn’t 40 the new 25 anyway?!
So here goes, my top 20 of things that make me feel old…
- You appreciate a nice hanging basket. One of the first signs that I knew I was getting old was when I was mesmerised by some beautiful hanging baskets… I think I even put an FB status about it… they were really that beautiful!
- You think most of the tunes on Radio 1 are utter shite… but I still can’t seem to make the move over to Radio 2… I’m still trying to be down with the kids and know who the heck Dua Lipa is!
- You go all Victor Meldrew about parking… it could be any parking… someone taking up two spaces, someone parking in the mother & child spot at the supermarket. I’ve been known to tell people off for both… being told regularly by the kids “Please don’t have a go mum”.
- You appreciate a beautiful view… and you will even start walking places to find one!
- You look for holidays that aren’t near the nightlife. Me and Hubby once went to a resort just up the hill from Magaluf. We ventured down for the night to see what’s what… an hour later we found ourselves back in our resort watching an Elvis tribute with the ‘oldies’ but at least we felt younger there!
- You think that the latest beauty trends look ridiculous… think eyebrows. Beautiful girls with perfectly good brows make them up like hairy slugs. They’ve got plenty of time to be doing that when they go all thin and sparse… when you get OLD!
- You cross the line over to big knickers… its hard to go back to a thong once you’ve put on a pair of comfy big girl pants… non VPL of course!
- Two nights out ‘on the razz’ takes four days to get over. I swear to god, I’m still struggling on Wednesday!
- Going Nightclubbing is now your idea of HELL! I’d much rather be in a cosy pub with a large wine!
- You try on heels in a shop… and wonder how the hell girls wear them without breaking their ankles. I believe I have uttered the words out loud, “How the hell do they walk in these”.
- Storage excites you! When we recently decorated our kitchen, I was so thrilled about having a larder cupboard and additional storage in the boiler cupboard, I swear, a little bit of pee came out!
- Conversations with the girls turn to how hot you are… in the temperature sense, not the looking good sense. Along with that there’s also, mood swings, veins (in all number of places) and discovering grey ‘pube like’ hairs spurting out of your head!
- You remember your Mum reaching 40… and thinking ‘man, that’s old’.
- Your kids think you’re weird… rather than funny! What do they know anyway!
- You envy the kids having YouTube… no need for compilation tapes full of Going Live interviews and appearances on Top of The Pops!
- You think, Thank God… we haven’t got anything on this weekend.
- You literally can’t remember… more than two things…ever!
- You love a nice scarf… Me and my bestie once had to stop ourselves mid conversation about our love for a scarf and keeping your neck warm. We swore we would never speak of it again!
- You know someone from your year at school who is a granny! When you’re an older mum to younger ones, it just freaks you out!
- It’s been well over a decade since you last did any kind of learning… the thought of trying to retain information (and definitely more than two things) gives me nightmares.
I’ll let you know how that one goes in six months time!
Until next time,
Love and hugs xxx